Sony Xperia X Performance review
Out thoughts: The most impressive camera yet
The Sony Xperia X Performance is set to replace the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium and with conflicting statements from Sony executives, this may or may not be the end of the line for the Z series of phones.
|Sony Xperia Z5 Premium deals|
Without doubt, this is the most impressive Sony phone yet, with extreme processing power, lightening fast gaming graphics, advanced camera and desirable accessory range. Read on as we discover this and more.
Design - A new colour range
The Sony Xperia X Performance introduces us to a new range of colours that includes Lime Gold and Rose Gold, which offer an expressive alternative to the other colour choices of White and Graphite Black.
The chosen colour is applied to all faces, from the trim surrounding the 5” Full HD rounded display to the seamless metal back. This Sony phone is 8.7mm thick and weighs 164g, which is all pretty typical for phones of this quality.
Performance - The power of Snapdragon
The Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor is making its way into all of the latest premium smartphones, including the Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and LG G5. This isn’t a surprise, as the Snapdragon 820 processor is a technological leap forward.
The Snapdragon 820 in numbers:
- 40% improved graphics performance
- 3x faster upload speeds
- 33% faster peak download speeds
- 2x processing performance
- 30% less power consumption
In short, this processor will ensure that there is no unnecessary buffering or stuttering when using streaming services like Netflix. When gaming, the graphics will be of a gaming console quality and being more energy efficient, the experience can go on and on.
Phone Set Up
Security - Protected by a fingerprint
The Sony Xperia X Performance has a fingerprint sensor incorporated into its power button and, most conveniently, this enables the user to pick up and unlock the phone in one motion.
Update: Sony announces Xperia XZ
The Android Marshmallow operating system makes it easy to set up the phone and get going and it only takes a few minutes to add email accounts and enter social networking details. The 32GB internal memory should be plenty but the Sony Xperia X Performance allows the memory to be expanded further though a, up to 200GB, microSD card slot.
Entertainment - Music, gaming and memories
The Sony Xperia X Performance has an entertainment centre with the same great features as the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium.
The features include Hi-Res Audio, which restores compressed music files back to their original recording quality, S-Force Front Surround Sound with Clear Audio+, PS4 Remote Play and Play Memories.
Accessories - Four ‘must-have’ purchases
There are four must-have accessories that are going to be hard to resist adding to your shopping basket:
- Style Cover Touch - This touch sensitive cover is transparent and lets the owner use the phone through it. The cover has reinforced corners, scratch protection through a microfiber suede lining and is colour-matched to the phone.
- Xperia Ear - This ear bud incorporates a high quality dual microphone and enables hands-free voice interactions with the phone. Voice commands can be given, messages can be read and notifications, the news, weather, traffic updates and the owners next appointments can be heard. The wearer can also dictate messages, make a call, ask for music to be played and set what happens when the ear bud is tapped through the Smartphone Host App.
- High-Resolution Audio Headset - Music lovers can enjoy undisturbed music with 98% of background noise blocked out. In addition to this, Beat Response Control uses a discreet air vent to maximise airflow for low frequency ranges and accurate deep bass reproduction.
- Quick Charger - Recharge fast with just 10 minutes giving 5.5 hours of use. The Quick Charge 3.0 charger is 4x faster than a standard charger, 27% faster than Quick Charge 2.0 and 38% more efficient compared to Quick Charge 2.0.
Camera & Video
Photography - Future focused
The smartest camera tech yet is built in and the 23MP camera’s Predictive Hybrid Autofocus is always one step ahead. This ingenious focus locks on to people and objects and predicts where they will move next, ensuring that no matter what happens or where the action goes, all photos will be in perfect focus.
Update: Sony announces Xperia XZ
The camera is quick to act and can go from standby to capture in just 0.6 seconds. Many Sony camera favourites will make an appearance, including 5x Clear Image Zoom, 1080p video recording and, for perfect illumination, there is a pulse LED flash.
Selfies haven’t been forgotten and an impressive 13MP camera, with low-light selfie cam, will take care of these.
Power management - Two days battery life
Under typical usage patterns, the 2,700mAh battery should give two days of battery life. The battery lifespan is up to twice as long and this has been achieved by using Sony’s smart battery management system and Qnovo’s Adaptive Charging technology. We will however point out that Sony has made this comparison against the Xperia Z2, which is a few generations back.
Final thoughts: The Sony Xperia Performance is as its name suggests a performance driven phone. It will be ideally suited to those who love gadgets, taking into consideration the next generation of accessories mentioned in this article, which along with the phone will roll out from Summer 2016.
So the Sony Xperia X Performance looks top notch, leading us to speculate what the Sony Xperia Z6 may look like, if Sony decides to make one.
Written by: Michael Brown